Maryland EXCELS (EXcellence Counts in Early Learning and School-age Child Care) is a voluntary Tiered Quality Rating and Improvement System that recognizes the accomplishments of early childhood and "school-age only" programs and providers through a set of standards with 5 levels that offer a pathway to high-quality. Maryland EXCELS provides information to families on choosing high-quality child care and education programs and articulates to the public the level of quality in early and school-age only child care and education programs. More than 30 states have developed quality rating and improvement systems and most states are in some phase of development.
The Maryland State Department of Education, in partnership with the Johns Hopkins University Center for Technology in Education, has developed the Maryland EXCELS website http://www.marylandexcels.org/. The website serves a variety of purposes:
· Programs use the website to register and apply for participation;
· Participating programs use the website to upload documentation to verify they meet the criteria in the standards and to connect with their assigned Program Coordinator who assists with the process;
· Resources and supports for participating programs are available through the website;
· Families use the website to search for high-quality programs when choosing child care. In addition to the website, a mobile app will be available to families to help them identify participating programs in their local area;
· The public and community partners use the website to find, collaborate with, and support programs in their local area.
New! Click here for a "Special" Invitation from Maryland EXCELS!
New! Click here to learn about Early Childhood SEFEL Training.
Click here for the "Top 10 Reasons..." why you should participate in Maryland EXCELS!!
Click here to download a video about Maryland EXCELS!
Click here for an Maryland EXCELS trifold brochure that provides an overview of the program.
Click here to learn about Maryland EXCELS.
Quality Assurance Specialists are waiting to help you!
Click here to contact a Specialist in your area.
Click here for a Maryland EXCELS PowerPoint Presentation
Click on the following Maryland EXCELS News & Updates
Maryland EXCELS Standards
There are four program standards for Maryland EXCELS that describe the criteria to be met at each level. The online system provides guidance to programs as to what documentation to submit to verify attainment. Select the chart below to view the standards for each program category.
Child Care Center Standards (includes Head Start, nursery schools)
Family Child Care Standards (includes Large Family Child Care Homes)
School-Age Only Standards (programs serving only school-age children)
Public Pre-Kindergarten Standards
Maryland EXCELS Awards, Bonuses, and Incentives
To view the program/provider awards, bonuses, and incentives for participation in Maryland EXCELS, click on the following links:
o Discount School Supply (downloadable order form)
o First Connection (ask about free/discounted trainings)
o Maryland State Child Care Association (contact Christina Peusch at email@example.com, or 410.820.9196 to ask about membership discounts)
Tiered Reimbursement Program