Grant Funding Opportunities
The Division of Early Childhood Development (DECD) periodically solicits proposals from the early care and education community to expand or enhance services or programs to promote the healthy development and school readiness of Maryland's children.
Prekindergarten Expansion Grant (2014)
The Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) is now accepting applications for the Prekindergarten Expansion Grant. The grant is made possible by the Prekindergarten Expansion Act of 2014 (Senate Bill 332), a statewide initiative to expand the access to half-day and full-day public prekindergarten for four-year-olds from families with household incomes at or below 300 percent (%) of Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG) for the school year 2014-2015. For a family of four, 300% of the 2014 FPG translates to an annual income of $71,550. In addition, the grant will provide funding for the establishment of Judith P. Hoyer Early Childhood Education Enhancement Programs (Judy Centers) in Maryland, which serve children from birth through 5 years of age.
• Click here for Expansion Grant guidance.
• Click here for Expansion Grant FAQs.
Qualified vendors may apply for grant funding under one of the following three classifications:
• Absolute Priority I – Half-day or full-day prekindergarten programs for 20 eligible four-year-olds at: State-licensed child care centers or family child care providers, or programs that are state or nationally accredited; centers that have published at Level 5 of Maryland EXCELS, Maryland's tiered quality-rating and improvement system operated by MSDE; or nonpublic schools that hold a certificate of approval from MSDE, in collaboration with a local board of education under a Memorandum of Understanding. Click here to download an Absolute Priority I grant application.
• Absolute Priority II – Expansion of a half-day and full-day prekindergarten program for 20 four-year-olds operated by a local board of education. Click here to download an Absolute Priority II grant application.
• Absolute Priority III – Establishment of a Judy Center or a satellite to an existing Judy Center at a Title I school operated by a local board of education. Click here to download an Absolute Priority III (Judy Center) grant application.