The School Liaison Officer is the primary point of contact between the military installation, the local school administration, including the Department of Defense Education Agency (DoDEA) Schools, parents, and the community at large. The Navy School Liaison Officer program helps installation and regional commanders work with state departments of education and local school districts to ensure school personnel are aware of the stressors on military families brought on by frequent transitions and extended deployments. These education professionals are located on all major Navy installations and serve as “links” between Navy families and schools.
The School Liaison Officer specializes in serving military families and offers a wide spectrum of services, enabling families to become more involved in their child’s educational experience.
- Supporting families with inbound/outbound school transfers;
- Providing information on local schools and boundaries;
- Assisting with school choice;
- Helping families understand the special education process;
- Providing information about graduation requirements;
- Making military and community agency referrals;
- Supporting families with the home schooling process; and
- Assisting with post-secondary preparation.
Parents, school personnel and community members with questions on school-age military child education are encouraged to contact their local School Liaison Officer.
Naval District Washington School Liaison Officers
Regional School Liaison Officer
Dahlgren/Indian Head School Liaison Officer
NSA Patuxent River School Liaison Officer
NSA Annapolis School Liaison Officer