MSDE Announcement: 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812 and the Star Spangled Banner: Resources for Educators
Baltimore, MD (May 13, 2014)
Dear Maryland Educator:
In September 2014, America will commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Star-Spangled Banner. Maryland and Marylanders played a pivotal role in the causes, conduct and outcomes of the War of 1812, and created two of the proudest symbols of America-the flag and the anthem-while the Chesapeake was engulfed in War.
Many bicentennial activities are being planned for Maryland in 2014 for the K-12 audience in virtual and non-virtual formats. Some of the most notable and easily accessible opportunities currently operating or planned include:
• Visiting Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine, especially to be a part of the Bicentennial Living American Flag on September 9, 2014.
• Discovering War of 1812 sites along the Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail in Maryland, Washington DC, and Virginia aided with the Chesapeake Explorer mobile app or printed guide, In Full Glory Reflected: Discovering the War of 1812 in the Chesapeake.
• Scheduling a trip for free tours of international tall ships and Navy vessels during Star- Spangled Spectacular in Baltimore, September 11-15.
• Exploring Maryland Public Television’s (MPT) War of 1812 website, on Thinkport, for ample, engaging, internet-based home and classroom resources, including Interactive Battlefield Maps.
• Screening the Emmy award winning MPT-produced film, The War of 1812 on the
Chesapeake; Home of the Brave.
• Participating in the Maryland State Arts Council’s National Anthem Sing-Off, or the
Maryland Humanities Council’s Maryland History Day/National History Day.
For more information on any of these activities and more, please contact Heather Ersts, Outreach and Partnership Coordinator at the Maryland War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission (410-767-6974, email@example.com), or Abbi Wicklein-Bayne, Education Specialist, The Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail (443-321-3610, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thank you for all that you do for the children and families of Maryland.
# # #