Through the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE), the State of Maryland has distributed millions of dollars in aid and equipment to our Nonpublic schools during the COVID-19 pandemic as part of the Emergency Assistance to Nonpublic Schools (EANS) program. This assistance is in keeping with the Governor's commitment to providing equitable educational opportunities to children in every school in our state and maintaining strong partnerships with Maryland Nonpublic schools.
The request phase of the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act EANS program, or EANS I, has ended. As this part of the program sunsets, remaining funds have reverted back to the Governor's Emergency Education Relief (GEER) fund. The Governor has directed the State to distribute these funds directly to eligible Nonpublic Schools. Only Nonpublic Schools that participate in the Maryland Nonpublic School Textbook and Technology program
this year and enroll students in at least one grade in grades one through twelve are eligible. The amount provided to each school is calculated as a $2,500 base amount plus a per-pupil amount, based upon the total amount of reverted EANS I funds. Funds may be used on a number of activities, items, and services as outlined by the Office of the Governor
- Supplies to sanitize, disinfect, and clean school facilities.
- Improving ventilation systems, including windows or portable air purification systems to ensure healthy air in the non-public school.
- Educational technology (including hardware, software, connectivity, assistive technology, and adaptive equipment).
- Expanding capacity to administer coronavirus testing to effectively monitor and suppress coronavirus, including conducting surveillance and contact tracing activities, and supporting other activities related to coronavirus testing for students, teachers, and staff at the nonpublic school (including the use of nursing services).
- Reasonable transportation costs.
When are applications due?
For consideration, applications must be submitted by 5:00 pm, on December 1, 2022.
How do I apply?
What if I have questions?