The Statutory Purpose of the Migrant Education Program (MEP) are to:
- Assist States in supporting high-quality and comprehensive educational programs and services during the school year, and, as applicable, during summer or intersession periods, that address the unique educational needs of migratory children.
- Ensure that migratory children who move among the States are not penalized in any manner by disparities among the States in curriculum, graduation requirements, and challenging State academic standards.
- Ensure that migratory children receive full and appropriate opportunities to meet the same challenging State academic standards that all children are expected to meet.
- Increase the percentage of migrant students (K-12; attending 20 or more days) who improve by at least 7 points on summer reading assessments.
- Increase the percentage of migrant students (K-12; attending 15-19 days) who improve by at least 5 points on summer reading assessment.
- Increase the percentage of migrant students (K-12; attending 10-14 days) who improve by at least 5 points on summer reading assessment.
- Help migratory children overcome educational disruption, cultural and language barriers, social isolation, various health-related problems, and other factors that inhibit their ability to succeed in school.
- Help migratory children benefit from State and local systemic reforms. Increase the percentage of migrant students (K-12; attending 20 or more days) who improve by at least 7 points on summer reading assessments.
Customer Service Support Session
The MSDE will hold a customer service support session for interested applicants. During this session, MSDE personnel will review what applicants need to get started, the program requirements, as well as a walk-through of the application. To register for a session, please contact Shanna Edmond at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information. See the date and time below:
- Tuesday, February 9 from 1:00 p.m. - 2 p.m.
If you have questions about the application or the process, please contact the Program Monitor:
Education Program Supervisor
Title I-Program Improvement & Family Support
Division of Curriculum, Instructional Improvement and Professional Learning
A list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) and answers will be posted to the MSDE website following customer service support session.
When will the application be open?
Friday, January 20, 2023
Application Submission Date:
Monday, February 20, 2023. No later than 5:00 p.m. EST