Frequently Asked Questions

These questions and answers are based upon current laws and regulations and are subject to change by the State Board of Education and/or the Professional Standards and Teacher Education Board.

1. What is licensure?

Licensure is the process of verifying that each educator required to hold a license in Maryland has the qualifications and appropriate training to execute his/her professional responsibilities.

2. Who must hold a Maryland educator license?

Teachers, specialists, and administrators in Maryland public schools, including nonpublic special education programs and schools operated by a Maryland state agency, must hold a valid license appropriate to the field of employment. If you are unsure if you must hold an educator license, contact your employer to inquire.

3. How do I qualify for a Maryland license?

There are several pathways to licensure in Maryland. Visit our Pathways to Licensure webpage for more information

4. How do I apply for Maryland licensure?

Applications for licensure are submitted through The Educator Application and Certification Hub (TEACH). If you are under contract with a Maryland public school district, a State-operated agency, or a nonpublic special education facility, please contact your employer directly to determine if there are additional requirements you must complete during the application process.

5. What is a "crime of violence" under Maryland law?

A crime of violence is defined in the Maryland Code, Criminal Law Article Section 14-101.

6. How long will it take to process my certification application?

MSDE will process an application for licensure within 8 weeks of submission if all of the required documents have been provided. If there are deficiencies in the application, you will be notified through your TEACH Dashboard and via email. 

7. How much does an application for licensure cost?

A $10 processing fee is required for the issuance of a license. If your application is approved, you will receive a notification to log on to your TEACH Dashboard and make a payment. Visa and Mastercard are accepted. 

8. What Maryland licenses are available?

There are 3 professional licenses: Initial Professional, Professional, and Advanced Professional. There are additional licenses that may be issued based on employment with a Maryland public school. Please visit the Types of Licenses webpage for further information. 

9. How do I add another licensure area/endorsement to my existing license?

It depends on the area of licensure you currently hold and what areas you would like to add. Visit our Endorsement page for more information.

10. Will services as a substitute count toward required experience?

Service as a day-to-day substitute is not acceptable. However, satisfactory service as a long-term substitute for a minimum of 3 months in the same assignment may be credited.

11. What types of teaching experience will not count toward licensure that requires experience?

The following types of experience are not acceptable:

  • Teacher of adult classes of persons 21 years or older (except if applying for an area of Professional and Technical Education)

  • Day-to-day substitute teaching

  • Teacher of college coursework

12. Are quarter hours equivalent to semester hours of credit?

No. A quarter-hour is equal to two-thirds of a semester credit hour.

13. How will the MSDE communicate with me regarding my application for licensure?

The MSDE communicates to applicants and existing educators via The Educator Application and Certification Hub (TEACH), as well as through email. You must keep your email address up to date through your TEACH Dashboard. 

14. Where can I find a copy of my license?

You may log onto The Educator Application and Certification Hub (TEACH) to download a copy of your past and current educator licenses. You will be required to complete a one-time registration to access TEACH.

15. How do I submit my transcripts?

Transcripts may be submitted in one of the following ways:
  • Ordered from Parchment, which will be sent directly to TEACH
  • Electronically sent to directly from an alternative e-transcript service
  • Mailed to the MSDE office of certification directly from the Institution of Higher Education or in a sealed student mailer
  • Sent directly to your employer if you are under contract with a Maryland local school district or state-operated school. Check with your employer for the method of transcript receipt.

If you need to submit a transcript from another country, you will need to provide an official copy of an evaluation of that transcript from an MSDE-recognized foreign transcript evaluation agency.