Additional teaching areas may be added to a Teacher's certificate by meeting one of the following requirements:
1. Credit Count
- For elementary or early childhood education, obtains 30 credits distributed across the four content areas of English, social studies, math, and science, with at least 6 credits in each content area
- For secondary, middle school, or prek-12 education, obtains 30 credits at least 15 of which are in the area for which the new certification is sought and 15 of which are in content-related areas
- For special education, obtains 30 credits of which at least 15 credits are in the age-appropriate area of special education and 15 are in related areas
2. Passing the Praxis Content Assessment
- Obtain a qualifying score as established by the State Superintendent of Schools on the content-specific tests required for certification
In Maryland, each specialist area has individual qualifications. Please click on the area below to view the requirements for certification.
In Maryland, each administrator and supervisor area has individual qualifications. Please click on the area below to view the requirements for certification.
How to Apply
If you are under contract with a Maryland local school district, State-operated school, or nonpublic special education program, please contact your employer directly.